Since Cinco de Mayo is tomorrow, I thought I would share another Mexican inspired recipe with you all. In my opinion, homemade tortillas are SO much better than the store bought ones. I’ve thought this way since I was a little girl. My grandma would make them at home for special occasions, like birthdays or family barbecues. When I knew a special event was coming up, there were two things I always looked forward to food-wise. My grandma’s tortillas and tamales! So YUM!
While traditional flour tortillas are made with lard, most people (including myself) don’t have this lying around. That’s OK. I’m a butter girl all the way, so that is what I’ll be using as we go through our ingredients today. This recipe is super simple to follow and only uses 5 main ingredients. Flour, salt, butter, water, and baking powder. That’s it! Depending on how large and thin you choose to roll them, this recipe will make 8-12 tortillas.
Now, let’s get to the good stuff!
Homemade Flour Tortillas
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon softened butter
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- Mix everything together in a bowl.
- Then add your water ¼ cup at a time until the dough forms a nice smooth ball.
- Knead on a floured surface until the dough becomes workable, elastic-like.
- Divide into 10-12 equal pieces and roll them into balls and place them on a baking sheet.
- Cover them with a clean, slightly damp kitchen towel and let them rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron or heavy bottom pan over medium-high heat.
- Roll the tortilla balls into flat circles. Use a bit of flour so they do not stick to the surface while you roll them out. Do not stack the tortillas on top of each other prior to cooking.
- Place 1 tortilla at a time into the hot skillet and cook until it bubbles up and light brown spots form on the bottom side. Depending on how hot your skillet is and how thick/thin you roll out each tortilla, each tortilla should take about 1 minute or less so make sure to keep an eye on them.
- Once the bottom side is finished cooking, flip and cook until the second side is done. About 30-45 seconds.
- Wipe out excess flour from your skillet between tortillas or the excess flour will burn.
- Repeat until all tortillas are done.
- Serve warm and soak up the compliments you are sure to receive!
Now you can have fresh homemade tortillas for your next family gathering! Give them a try and let me know what you think!
Lots of Love