Happy May Y’all!
I am so excited for the summer months that are upon us! Some of my most favorite recipes, hosting tips, and summer fun ideas will be coming your way very soon. This week, I want to focus on May 5th, Cinco De Mayo! Let’s start with some delicious Black Bean Lime Tacos!
Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner and I am so excited to celebrate! I remember my Spanish classes in high school like it was yesterday. Every Cinco De Mayo, we would have a “pot-luck” style day where everyone brought their favorite Spanish/Mexican dish. I always loved these days, Mexican food has been my favorite for as long as I can remember. Especially my grandmother’s homemade tamales! Oh so YUM!
For those who may not know, Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of the day that the Mexican army had victory over the French empire. In America, it is also considered a day to celebrate Mexican-American culture. Not to be confused with September 16, which is Mexico’s Independence Day; celebrating their independence from Spain.
Now that we all know a little bit more about why May 5th is an important day, let’s get into the good stuff, shall we? This Black Bean Lime Taco recipe is definitely a favorite around our house! I hope you and your family enjoy it just as much as we do!
If you give it a try, let me know what you think!
Lots of Love,
Black Bean Lime Tacos
- 1 lb hamburger meat (or chicken strips)
- 1 – 1 ½ cups dried black beans
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ – ½ an onion (diced)
- 1 lime – 2 limes (your choice)
- 1 packet taco seasoning (OR homemade taco seasoning)
- Begin by soaking your black beans in about 3-4 cups of water and 2 teaspoons of salt overnight in the fridge or for at least 6-8 hours.
- Rinse your black beans and put the soaked & rinsed beans into a high sided pot and cover them with about 3 inches of water.
- Bring the water and beans to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow to boil/simmer for about 1-3 hours.
- At the 1 hour mark, add your onion and the juice of ½ a lime. Toss in the lime slices after squeezing the juice out.
- Begin checking the beans for softness every half hour, starting at an hour and a half.
- When the beans are about done cooking, brown your hamburger meat and when it is almost fully browned add your taco seasoning according to package directions.
- Add the juice of your remaining ½ lime to the taco meat.
- Once the beans are completely finished cooking, drain them. Do not rinse. Add the beans & onions to your taco meat.
Serve inside warm tortillas with your favorite toppings! My recommended toppings – lettuce, shredded cheese, pico de gallo, sour cream and/or guacamole.
If you decide to use Chicken Strips use the taco seasoning as a marinade. Mix the seasoning with the juice of ½ a lime and a little olive oil and/or water and let the chicken marinade overnight or 4-6 hours. Cook your chicken as you choose. Then continue with the directions above.
If you would prefer vegetarian tacos then just use the black beans. Add all of your lime while they cook and when they are completely cooked, add the taco seasoning with a little water for that yummy taco flavor. Then top as you wish!
HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO!